4.04.2008

In Memoriam and In Celebration

Today, our country remembers the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Forty years ago today, Dr. King was assassinated. There are ceremonies taking place throughout the country, but most notably, in Atlanta, GA, the place where he and his beloved Coretta Scott King are laid to rest. His surviving daughter, Elder Bernice King is speaking to young people at the Sacred Ebenezer Baptist Church. Also today, in Ft. Wayne, Indiana, Senator Obama has made a speech to commemorate Dr. King's legacy. Senator McCain remembered Dr. King while speaking in front of the Lorraine Motel in Memphis, TN, where Dr. King was gunned down. McCain expressed regret in having previously voted against the institution of a national holiday for Dr. King (you learn something new everyday). Sarcastically, I heard a sister yell out from the crowd, "how do you feel about the holiday today?". and he quickly responded "I feel okay." You've gotta love my people (smiles).

On another note, today is the eightieth birthday of the lovely, wonderful, cherished and treasured Dr. Maya Angelou, teacher and writer. She told Tamron Hall this morning on MSNBC, that for all these years, she had not celebrated her birthday because of Dr. King's murder. She also told of the bond she shared, on this day, with Coretta and how different the past two years have been without her.

My childhood was made richer because I was immersed in Black History. The contributions of people like these two are part of my foundation; a reason why I hold my head high.

Rest in peace, Dr. King.

Happy Birthday, Dr. Angelou!

Thanks to you both for your influence on my life.

No comments: