4.21.2008

The Prototype

I have a friend/Squirrel here in L.A. who swears that modern day women can't hold a stick to Rachel Robinson (just last week Mrs. Robinson was still representing for JRR and he's been gone to glory for thirty-six years) and Nancy Reagan when it comes to holding it down for ones man. "They just don't make 'em like that anymore", he says. He loves that they stood tall through thick and thin and aged gracefully and with dignity throughout it all. In his mind, a woman of that caliber is the ultimate prize, and I believe that he won't be satisfied until he finds his version.


Jackie and Rachel Robinson


Rachel Robinson

From Thomasine and Bushrod to Bonnie and Clyde, tales of women who act as both backbone and kryptonite for their men have always had a special place in my heart. You see, I consider myself to be of the same fabric (wink).

Fictionally and lightheartedly in this category, I think of Weezy (George), Helen (Tom), Claire (Cliff), and Claudine (Roop).

Historically, there was Coretta (Martin) and Betty (Malcolm). Presently, Alma (Colin), fills those shoes. But for me, there exist none better than Ruby Dee (Ossie), she is the quintessential.


Ossie Davis and Ruby Dee


There are contemporaries who perhaps fit the bill, but I don't want to stir up controversy, so I'll leave that alone.

However, Michelle Obama is proving herself to be a shining example. I dig her swag! I appreciate her confidence and sense of self. I admire her love and respect for Barack Obama. Check her handles.....



With a woman like this in his corner, a man stands a better chance.

Your thoughts?





No comments: